The VPN we use varies on the basis of the encryption protocols that are used by it. A VPN does its work by creating a secret tunnel for the flow of data traffic, and this tunnel is encrypted by its encryption protocol. But VPN is basically divided into two types- Remote Access VPN and Site-to-Site VPN.
It is a type of VPN which is used for business uses as well as personal uses. Using it, a user can have access to a private network, and use its services remotely. The connection thus formed is very secure and private and the private connection is created with the help of the Internet. Similarly, it can be used by corporate employees, which requires them to connect to the private network of their company while traveling.
The users who use VPN for their personal use can use Remote Access VPNs for bypassing regional restrictions posed over the internet and unblocking blocked or restricted sites. It can also be used by people who want to ensure the privacy and security of their data and traffic.
Site-to-Site VPN or Router-to-router VPN as it is commonly called is a VPN that is used by corporate companies, which have their branches in varying locations. This type of VPN helps companies to interconnect all their branches in a secure and private network. When a Site-to-site VPN network is used within the branches of a single company, it forms an Intranet based VPN whereas if it is used to connect two or more companies, it forms Extranet based VPN. You can also check various VPN available to install the best Kodi addons on your devices.
This type of VPN works with a type one router acting as the Client and a type two router acting as the Server of the VPN. An authentication is validated between the two and only then does the connection progresses. The Site-to-Site VPN works by creating a bridge between two or more routers located in different regions and ensure the privacy of the connection to adhere to the security reasons.
We will now read about some points of difference between Remote Access VPN and Site-to-site VPN.
|Remote Access VPN||Site-to-site VPN|
|It connects two individual users by creating a private network between them for the transfer of data.||It uses the IPsec security method in order to create the encrypted tunnel between the Client router and the server router.|
|Setup on each client may or may not be needed for working of Remote Access VPN.||There is definitely no need for setup on each client in Site-to-Site VPN.|
|Every remote access user requires initiating the VPN tunnel setup for using Remote access VPN.||There is no need for every user to initiate the VPN tunnel setup in order to use a Site-to-Site VPN.|
|It supports SSL and IPsec technology for the encryption of the tunnel.||It supports IPsec Technology only.|
|Remote Access VPN allows multiple users to access the encrypted tunnel.||In Site-to-site VPN, there is no allowance for multiple users.|
|It is mostly used when the Head Office of a company wants to connect with the other Sub-offices or branches of the office through LAN.||It is generally and most widely used by employees of Corporate office who travel for work and need to access to the private connection of their company while sitting at some other region.|
|It works when the VPN gateway encrypts the outbound traffic and sends it through a tunnel over the internet to another gateway at the target site.||Here the traffic is encrypted by the client software and then sends it to the target network.|
|It is more versatile as multiple VLANs can flow traffic through each VPN tunnel.||It is comparatively less versatile as multiple VLANs cannot flow their traffic through one tunnel.|
In order to be surer about which one of them is the better option, we will read about the advantages and features of both types of VPN.
- It is known to not address access point security into the network so that the consumer can have secure access to the cloud environment.
- The data which is transmitted through its tunnels is completely encrypted so that high levels of security are maintained.
- Any person can connect to the remote network of his/her organization at any time, using any device, irrespective of the location that he is sitting at.
- The visibility of the network is much greater for all the employees and stakeholders.
- 5. It comes with a pre-loaded integration with all the major cloud providers. You can give a try to pCloud coupon code to subscribe to such software.
- It gives secure access to all the devices whether they are managed or unmanaged.
- It safeguards your data from the risk of cyber-attacks and thus is a more secure network type.
- You do not need to install apps for their usage and thus it is an easy-to-use and efficient form of VPN.
- Adding every branch or office to the VPN connection is quite easy because all of them do not need to register or set up the VPN tunnel individually.
According to your usage, the size of your business, and other factors, you can see which one is the better VPN type for you. Both the VPN types have their own advantages that we have mentioned above. We hope, now you can make the decision wisely and choose the best option for you as per your needs.