Are you a forward-thinking edupreneur who wishes to light the flames of education in the minds of learners with an edge though? Yes? You are at the right place then.
During the pandemic, we witnessed the on-demand app concept accomplishing huge popularity and dominance. The one industry that particularly saw its digitization taking place around this period was the eLearning industry. With learners being confined to the four corners of their houses during this period, they got access to solutions that made them virtually connect with their educators and get their lesson queries resolved thereafter.
Now as the pandemic has come to an end, and 2023 is here, the industry is still witnessing its dominance. Hence, it is a good idea to become a part of this billion-dollar industry.
However, the tricky question is- how to go about the task of performing educational app development. To make this achievable, we have brought forth this article for you.
It articulates the different stages for carrying out eLearning app development so that you can ensure that your education venture achieves a competitive edge successfully in 2023 and beyond.
So let’s not waste any more time and get insight into how to go about this process to capture maximum profits and learners.
Factors Contributing to the Popularity of e-Learning App
There are a large array of factors that contribute to the popularity of eLearning apps. Some of these are:
- Delivers intuitive learning experience to learners.
- Acts as a medium in covering the gap between parent and educator ensuring a flawless mode of communication between the two.
- Helps educators automate their teaching processes ensuring different processes like lessons to be covered, when they have a class scheduled etc are easy to monitor.
- Assists the eLearning industry to get its brand visibility boosted.
What Does This Entail?
The advantages cited above are enough to depict that the apps have a considerable amount of benefits for learners, educators, and the education industry at large. The market stats that are shared below will assist you to gain perspective on this aspect better.
Global Market Share for the e-Learning Industry
Check out these amazing facts and figures to gain a perspective on the lucrative scope of the eLearning industry.
- The eLearning platforms are projected to bring revenues of $57.42 billion in 2023.
- Growth in profits to take place at a CAGR of 2.37% between 2023 to 2027.
- Projected market volume to be $63.06 billion by 2027.
- The number of users to become 920.8 million by 2027.
- User penetration rate to become 9.5% in 2023.
- The rate of user penetration is to go up by 11.6% in 2027.
Look at the graph to take a peek at the revenue growth.
Image source: statista.com
Check out this map below to get a glance at the five countries that lead in using these platforms for delivering eLearning services.
Image source: statista.com
The graph and the map above have enlightened you about the basics of the eLearning industry, and the benefits they bring forth to learners, educators, and the industry at large. It is however to be noted here that when it comes to the process of eLearning app development, a wide array of steps are to be adhered to.
How to Drive e-Learning Industry Profits with a Mobile App?
Before you even embark on the journey to build an eLearning app like Byju’s, it is vital and critical that you remain focused on some points.
Know the Different e-Learning App Types
You must have an idea about the different eLearning app types. So there are two categories of these apps, namely, eLearning apps for teachers and learners.
Make sure you have knowledge about these app types, and what they constitute, and try to study which one is more in demand to reach out to customers faster.
- Educational apps for teachers that allow for streamlining the way learners get imparted their daily lessons, apart from automating the way students’ progress is tracked, and so on.
- Educational apps for learners are designed in a way to create an intuitive learning experience for the learners and ensures they remain engaged with their lessons.
Perform Competitive & Customer Research
These two areas are important to assess next. It will help you to assess an app design that will drive your success. Hence, ask yourself some questions like:
- What is the USP of competitors?
- Is there anything that my competitors have missed to add in the education app they developed?
- Will the addition drive value for me?
- What are the concerns of my learners?
- What are the current industry trends?
Choose Appropriate Business Model
The image below depicts the three main kinds of business models for eLearning apps.
- Night school model where learners pay one-time fees. Thereafter, they get access to the course content and on completion earn a certificate.
- Academy model where the eLearning platform acts as a virtual educational institution to allow students to learn and imbibe new skills.
- Combined model is also known as the integration of the night school and academy model to help students in enhancing their different educational and co-curricular skills.
Integrate Relevant Features
Probably one of the most critical aspects apart from research, knowledge of the business model, etc., you cannot miss out on the integration of features.
Here are the ones you can particularly add:
- Easy registration or social media login
- Student profile
- Search option
- Screen sharing
- File sharing
- Track progress
- Push notifications
- Multiple payment options
- Recording of sessions
Require Technology Stack
- For Android – Kotlin or Java
- For iOS – Swift
- For Frontend – React
- For Backend – Node.JS, Express.JS, Python
- Payment Processing – PayPal, Stripe, Braintree, EWallets
- For Server – AWS
- Push Notifications – Twilio, Push.io
- For Database – MongoDB, HBase, Postgres
Select Revenue-Generating Stream
Next, you must select an appropriate revenue-generating stream. This is something that you need to place focus on while performing educational app development services.
Here are the different streams:
- In-app purchases where customers need to pay an extra amount to access different features present on it.
- Charges for new updated versions to allow the business to earn extra through the different versions of the app released.
- Subscription fees charged to users for the services they will access on the platform like content, courses, lectures, etc.
Get in Touch with an Educational App Development Company
After you get an outline of the business and revenue model, followed by getting an overview of the features that your app will contain, the next critical step during the course of school or college app development is to get in touch with a reliable educational app development company. Known as an ideal method for saving on costs, this will ensure that you can perform your different business processes without any worries.
However, before you partner with them, make sure you have done your research about the company well in advance. Examine their portfolio, followed by their client reviews. Assess the past apps they have developed. Now after you complete all these activities, go ahead and get in touch with them. Share your requirements with them, and corroborate their understanding thereafter to observe your eLearning app idea accomplishing successful fruition.
Get the e-Learning App Edge
With this, I have explained the different ways you can go while performing e-Learning app development that drives value for your education venture. However, during this process, you need to place equal focus on the cost to build an app.
How Much Does Educational App Cost?
It is tricky to provide the exact cost build an education app. The price depends on various factors such as UI/UX design, app complexity, app platforms (Android, iOS, or both), the location of an app development company, etc.
However, if provide a rough estimation, the development cost of an educational app varies from $20,000 to $30,000. It may go high if you want to include advanced features and functionalities in your mobile app.
Developing an e-Learning app is a complex and tedious process that demands strict adherence to a wide array of areas like research, knowledge of features, identification of an appropriate business and revenue model, and most importantly, keeping costs constant. To ensure these processes remain streamlined, connect with a reputed mobile app development company to turn your ideas into reality.
Anita Shah is a project coordinator at XongoLab Technologies, a reputed mobile app development company specializing in building robust Android and iOS applications. As a hobby, she loves to write informative articles and share her knowledge through content marketing.