Mobile apps have become a phenomenon because they enable users to interact with the world. Furthermore, applications could be used for advertising. Business organizations have taken advantage of the surge of downloaded applications. Thus, if mobile apps make people’s lives easier, some acquire more success than others.
Recently there was an issue about why Apple’s App Store and Google’s App Store are blocking applications. With the gigantic growth of app development these days, there are numerous reasons why some apps are being blocked. The main reason is the mobile app’s information security.
Google play and App stores are both famous and huge platforms for storing apps related to games, books, mobile apps, magazine, movies and a whole lot more. With the growth of Android app development and iOS app development, millions of applications are available. Google do not adhere to any kind of method that’s pre-approved, but evaluates policies before deployment of an app into the App and Google Play Store.
Google revealed some measures they have undertaken in 2018 and 2019 and shared information on the number of applications it forestalled from publishing and how many were completely removed from the store. One of the best ways of protecting users from bad applications is to keep the apps out of the Play Store in the first place.
Why Apps are Getting Blocked?
A lot of people are puzzled as to why an app is refused or blocked by the two major platforms. The following are some of the reasons for blocking and rejecting by the two giants in the industry.
1. Content violation. Posting applications links in any app feedback and review section, as well as contributing money for reviews are considered as violation of content and thus they would be blocked. Formulating email or SMS within an app without revealing the features would be blocked. Applications that promote offensive user-generate content are also subjected to blocking.
2. Third-party application markets. Mobile apps published in the Play Store have no permission to publish in any other third-party app market for update or download. Because of the openness of Android and app development, it’s relatively easy to do a third-party transfer in the boot process at the professional level.
3. Advertisements that mislead. Should there be fraud ads related to job offers that mislead people and has content that’s inappropriate, the would be blocked. Some ads advertise something good in the presence of harmful elements, a scam advertisement that deserves blocking.
Also banned are ads that pressure users to click on it or to download something. Disruptive and false ads would be prevented, as well as ads that adhere to OS system notifications.
4. Breach of intellectual property rights. Mobile app developers and companies could develop apps that could violate the intellectual property of people. The App Play store banned not only the app but the developer’s account as well. Intellectual property could border everything, starting from the app name, general direction, layout and other features.
5. Improper Keywords usage. This breach occurs in nearly 50 percent of cases. Developers and marketers of apps read various articles on products promotion and use the techniques for promoting their apps and businesses. One of the hacked SEO technique to promote an app is keyword stuffing. Keywords target the app’s name and its description to show their app in the top of the play stores, which Google don’t allow and forbids an app with high keyword density.
6. Unsuitable images. A lot of times, developers upload images that break the app policy. Each app image should be taken legally. If developers upload pictures used in another app, the legal claim could be taken by its owner and could end with rejection. Make sure all images used are suitable for all ages.
7. Security. Problems related to security is the main reason for app blocking. Always, play stores give high priority to app user security. The apps with no guarantee or give false security will be prevented.
8. In-app purchases. Apps that implement product in-app purchase and sales should be cautious when transacting with third parties. Should an abuse occur, the apps would be removed from the App or Play Store. Besides, apps that demand payment for more games and playtime level would be prevented if fraud is detected.
9. Erotic content. If an app contains sexually offensive content, sexual images, videos or description to promote it, it would automatically be blocked.
10. Crashes and defects. A lot of mobile app developers, either for Android app development or iOS app development don’t test their apps that run well. But since apps usually have flaws, they could crash. Thus, testing is vital before publishing. Any bug present means refusal of an app.
11. Payment systems. Payment within apps should be through the Google Play payment system only. There are however two exemptions, including trading digital content, which could be used outside the app and non-digital goods sale. If there is any payment that occurs outside the Google play payment system, it would be blocked.
12. Malicious applications. Millions of users download malware via malicious applications. Some applications have malware in phones. These apps will never have a place in the Play or App Store.
The above points are the common reasons why an app is rejected of blocked by the App Store and Google Play. Apple keeps a stringent process of scrutinizing so that apps on their app store are bug free, do not crash or have any other performance problems, thus providing a great UX or user experience. They reject applications with strong reasons since they want to maintain a quality standard for all involved parties.
Because developers put in a lot of effort, time and money into creating an app, it’s but natural to want to see the app published on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store without undergoing the hassle and frustration of rejection or being blocked. Make certain that the app offers something of value, functions smoothly and unique as well. Furthermore, it’s critical that an app meets the stringent standards set forth by Apple and Google and get the app listed on their popular stores in no time.
Olivia Diaz is working at eTatvaSoft, an Enterprise level Web & Mobile Application Development Company. Being a tech geek, she keeps a close watch over the industry focusing on the latest technology news and gadgets. Follow me on Twitter.