The Microsoft Exchange account supports the EDB (Extensible Storage Engine Database) file format to store all the mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendars, etc. Because of various reasons many users want to convert EDB to PST (Personal Storage Table) format. PST format is supported by Microsoft Outlook to save all the mailbox data. Here in this blog, we will provide the recommended step by step free methods to export EDB to PST file format. Outlook offers some amazing features for users that attract them.
Before moving any further to the process, let’s understand the reasons to migrate EDB to PST format.
Table of Contents
Why Do Users Need to Convert EDB to PST File Format?
There can be various reasons because of which users want to transfer all their Exchange EDB data to PST format. We have mentioned here some of the common reasons below for this conversion.
- Backup Purposes – Sometimes users may find it necessary to create a backup of some specific mailboxes. The backup of EDB files to PST is a much cost-effective option for the Exchange administrator.
- Portability needs – PST files are easy to port and access when the user saves EDB data in PST. With different storage devices, users can move the data instantly to other locations.
- To keep the previous record – If the users wants to keep the previous important data record, then backing up EDB files to PST is a reliable option for them.
- Compliance Requirements – For any legal or compliance requirements, it is necessary to save, retain or collect some of the specific data for a long run.
Manual Strategy to Export EDB to PST Format
You can manually convert EDB to PST file format, here you will get to see the step by step manual process of EDB to PST conversion. However, I would suggest users create a backup of the original data before starting the process as there might be some risk of data loss due to human errors.
Export through the Exchange Merge Utility
- Launch the Exchange Merge utility
- In the procedure selection window, go to the two step procedure.
- Choose to extract data from the exchange server mailbox.
- Enter all the required credentials in the source server window such as name, domain name, etc.
- Click on the Next button.
- Go to the import procedure tab.
- Choose active data to target store option.
- Select EDB mailboxes to export in the next window.
- Now define the path to save the resultant file.
- Click on the Next button to start exporting.
- Click on the finish button.
With these manual steps to convert EDB to PST, there are several limitations as well. We have listed some of the limitations below.
- Exports data only upto 2GB.
- More time-consuming and lengthy process.
- Only supports earlier Exchange versions like Exchange 2003.
- Risk of data loss.
- Good technical knowledge is required.
- Corrupt EDB files cannot be converted using manual methods
Professional Solution to Convert EDB to PST
As an alternate, users can try the free automated EDB to PST converter online solution. The professional solution avoids all the limitations and risks as in manual approach of conversion. You can try the DRS EDB to PST converter tool which offers a FREE solution to all the users for a complete month. The utility allows users to convert EDB files to PST, EML, EMLX, MBOX, MSG, TXT, PDF, HTML, Office 365, etc. It is designed on a smooth user friendly GUI and doesn’t require any technical knowledge to perform the conversion using the utility. Even any non-technical user can easily perform the conversion. Follow the steps to convert EDB to PST using the utility.
- Launch the smart EDB to PST Converter software.
- Browse to select all EDB files you want to export.
- Select the auto-detect option to choose all the EDB files to export.
- Choose the Exchange version.
- Select the recovery mode from Standard mode, Advanced mode, and Deep mode.
- The selected file will be scanned.
- You can use the Date range filter option.
- Click on the save in PST in save as option.
- You can save the data in a new PST or existing PST file.
- Browse to define the location to save the resultant folder.
These are the simple steps to use the advanced EDB converter tool for an effortless EDB to PST migration in a single go. It offers some amazing features as well.
Key Features of the Utility
- Exports EDB files to EML, PST, MBOX, PDF, HTML,MSG, Office 365 etc.
- Exchange EDB recovery tool restores the entire corrupt or deleted EDB mailbox data.
- Provides auto-detect feature.
- No technical expertise is required.
- Easy user-friendly GUI.
- Allows users to split the large PST files and provides a preview option to view the recovered items.
- Provides a date range feature to exclude the unwanted data.
- EDB to PST converter online is available for FREE for a complete month.
In this blog, we have discussed the step by step guide to convert EDB to PST format. As there are numerous solutions but here we have provided the free manual and the best EDB to PST converter software. It can now be concluded that there are some limitations of using the manual technique. So, it is suggested to use the advanced DRS EDB converter tool for a quick and hassle-free EDB to PST conversion.