Providing firefighters with vital information at the scene of emergencies and transforming future operational capabilities
The service is deploying the Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 tablets in the front cabs of its fire appliances as Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs). The devices are also being deployed in the rear of the vehicles as mobile, demountable devices to accompany firefighters when they leave the vehicles. The devices will be rolled out to the whole service from July 2018.
The future of MDTs
Permanently mounted in the front of the vehicle, the Panasonic tablet is the ideal MDT to meet the future needs of the UK fire service. They will be used for providing vital information on the way to an incident, such as sending status updates to command and control centres, risk assessment requirements, details on the occupancy of the premises and nearby hydrant locations.
The demountable devices, in the back of appliances, can be used to assist firecrews with detailed schematics of vehicles to help them rescue trapped people, safety data on any chemicals stored on site and other risk-based data. The Panasonic devices could also be used with a range of new technology, including being body worn, viewing images from drones, thermal imaging and 360° cameras.
Rigorous selection process
The Panasonic devices were chosen after a rigorous selection process. A shortlist of six devices were subjected to two test sessions, with 23 evaluation areas in total. At the end of the process, the Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 notebook and the Havis docking station were the winners.
Daniel Grew, Mobile Data Technology Manager, at DWFRS said: “The enhanced functionality and future capability of the devices will allow for DWFRS to expand its mobile technology capabilities. Digital form completion, image capturing and video streaming, Inventory checks, training tools, incident command, RFID tag capture and mobile office applications are just a sample of the expected future benefits delivered with these new devices.”
“With a 5-year warranty included with the new Panasonic devices, we can be assured that the devices will serve their purpose until such a time that change is required through hardware end-of-life, technological advancement or an operational change in requirement.”
Will Holmes, Emergency Services Corporate Sales Manager for Panasonic Toughbook, added: “Today several thousand Panasonic Toughbook notebooks and Toughpad tablets are being used by Fire Services across the UK and Ireland. It’s the portability of the devices, their optimised connectivity, clear daylight readable displays, rugged design and Panasonic’s ability to design total solutions around the device that are proving to be the winning factors.”
The Panasonic project management team is working closely with the fire service and their nominated installation contractors to support the build and imaging of the devices alongside installing the units in the appliances. The deployment will be completed by October 2018.
Designed to be tested
The Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 notebook is a 2-in-1 detachable rugged device with a 12.0” screen designed for use in all extreme weather conditions. With hot swappable twin batteries, detachable keyboard, and highly configurable capabilities, the device brings unrivalled flexibility and performance for emergency services mobile computing.
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7750
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Panasonic System Communications Company Europe’s (PSCEU) goal is to improve the working lives of business professionals and help their organisations’ efficiency and performance through world leading technology. We help organisations capture, compute and communicate all sorts of information: image, voice, and textual data. With around 350 staff, engineering design expertise, global project management capability and a large European partner network, PSCEU offers unrivalled capability in its markets.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV offers high quality products and solutions to ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance to end-users in the areas of remote camera solutions, switchers, studio camera solutions and ENG P2. The VariCam line-up of professional digital video cameras are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) which makes them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offer world leading communication solutions including professional scanners, telephony systems and SIP terminal devices.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, Toughpad business tablets and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic Toughbook had a 67% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and Panasonic Toughpad held a 56% revenue share of sales of rugged business tablets in 2016 (VDC Research, March 2017).
- Industrial Medical Vision provides applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM micro camera solutions. End-users, system integrators or distributors can choose from a range of full product solutions and component vision technology.
- Security Solutions, including video surveillance cameras and recorders, video intercom systems and intruder alarms.
- Visual System Solutions, including projectors and professional displays. Panasonic offers the widest range of Visual products, and leads the European high brightness projector market with a 37.20% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm (FY16 April 2015 – March 2016, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018, the company has expanded globally and now operates 495 subsidiaries and 91 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.711 billion for the year ended March 31, 2017. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global
About Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service serves the local authority areas of Bournemouth, Dorset, Poole, Swindon and Wiltshire. It delivers a range of prevention, protection and emergency response services to over 1.45 million residents across the Service area, working from 50 fire stations. More about the Service can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk